Darkness of Depression
I’m not sure how many people in the world suffer from depression…I know it’s a whole lot. I know that I’ve dealt with this condition off and on for most of my life.
If you currently…or have ever experienced it…you know exactly what I mean by darkness. It’s like the most overwhelming feelings and thoughts of heaviness and darkness take over your every move…every though…and every action.
For the most part…I can fight back against it…push it back under the rug…hide from it’s weight. But then, I have weeks like I’ve had for about a month now…where it takes over me…It sneaks up on me…and consumes me. When it catches me off guard, I have trouble overcoming it. I know to be watching for it…when the days begin to get shorter…but this time…I never saw it coming. I spent the better part of the end of summer and beginning of autumn with my husband in Montana…and I really never saw it happening….I’m not sure it did like most years. This time…I felt fine, full of energy and “normal” ( I’ve always heard NORMAL is a setting on the washer)…lol
We came home for Thanksgiving…and I knew that I would be staying, and Dave would have to go back to Montana. I expected it. I think what I DIDN’T expect…was to come home very sick and run down from a severe kidney infection. Then we gave our baby…and only daughter’s hand in marriage. Although I absolutely LOVE my SIL…it’s more emotional than I expected. Many of you know that I stay on pain therapy and immune suppressing medications for rheumatoid Arthritis and my chronic back pain. I guess that’s why it was so easy for the Kidney infection to get out of control. Anyway….I guess the combination of all these things…took me over. Paralyzed me….and as if you haven’t noticed…stopped all my creativity and drive. So…here I’ve sat…in the darkness….motionless…literally.
I felt like I needed to tell y’all about this…because I know…although most of you signed up to follow me for projects…I know some of you need to know…you’re not alone. I need to know that sometimes. My doctor once told me that anxiety and depression were more common…than the common cold. I was shocked. I had no idea that so many people suffered from this condition. At least I really wasn’t crazy…Okay…maybe I am…but not from that! lol
I have tried for two weeks now…almost non-stop to pull myself out of this funk…without any success….and I just want y’all to know…I’m grateful for those of you have stuck this out, even though the only thing you’re getting in your mailbox right now is our weekly linky party…and I know that while some of you love them…not everyone does…and I appologize for letting y’all down. But I just love y’all so much for staying with me…and waiting this out…and I promise…this too shall pass. I will over come it…I just have to get my strategy figured out…and find the switch. Wouldn’t it be awesome…if there was just a switch on the wall that we could flip…and make the depression go away? Man…how wonderful life would be.
Here’s what I’m doing…that generally works for me…not always as fast as I’d like…but eventually…it works:
- Pray. I know this isn’t for everyone…but God has always pulled me up…sometimes just not in the timing I’d like…but he knows what he’s doing.
- Exercise. This one has become increasingly difficult with my physical limitations…but even just getting up and stretching helps.
- Listen to music. I guess there isn’t a specific kind that does more for me…just peppy music of some kind. I try to stay away from my mushy love songs when I’m feeling this way… 😀 AND dance…just like the saying goes: Like nobody’s watching. 😀
- Socialize. Get out…and go be with your friends…laughter…and socializing does a body good. Your true friends are there for you…learn to let them help you through this. I know I’m guilty of not sharing and “burdening” my buddies with my problems…and when they find out…they gripe me out every time…YOU’RE NOT A BURDEN!!
- Find a hobby that makes you happy. Make something…that you can show off to your friends and family…and only show it to the ones that lift you up. If you have people around you…that can’t be supportive…it only makes depression worse….lose them…and stick to the ones that help you!
- Take a drive in the country. Sometimes…just getting out of your daily rut…and spending time out away from the hustle and bustle of real life…helps. Enjoy a country sunset…or look at mine!
- Volunteer. I have found, that helping others…that have less than you…makes you feel good. Makes you grateful for what you have. One of the most humbling things I do…is go to my neurologist’s office. I can really get down about my problems…till I see all his patients…that are so much worse off than I am. BIG OLE HUNK OF HUMBLE PIE!! Good for the soul AND the spirit.
- Talk to your pastor. If you are faithful, visit with your pastor…or an elder from your church. They sometimes know exactly where to draw wisdom to feed your spirit…..LET THEM.
That’s pretty much all I have for now. These are some of the things that I do to try to over come my depression…I hope they help you.
If you’re suffering…please feel free to email me and visit with me. I’m not promising that I’ll have the answers…but I DO understand what you’re going through…and I’ll listen.
I have a few really good things coming up this week…THANK GOODNESS I got them done before this hit. I have a cookie exchange…and an ornament project this week…and then…I have some AMAZING guest posts coming up too. Stick with me…I’m gonna get through this…and if you’re suffering…you will too…we’ll help each other!
Mostly…thank y’all so much for sticking by me! Have an awesome day!